Pictures show shocking aftermath of town centre fire
- Credit: Archant
The fierce fire which tore down a town centre shop yesterday is still smouldering this morning.
Around 40 firefighters tackled the blaze at the Sue Ryder shop in King's Lynn, High Street, after the fire broke out around 10.30am yesterday.
Traders and residents were evacuated while firefighters contained the fire, with many not being able to return until around 5pm.
This morning, firefighters were on scene shortly before a fence was secured around the charred building, with neighbouring Eatwell cafe, Money Shop and mydentist also cordoned off.
Only a shell remains of the charity shop, with blown out windows revealing the collapsed first floor and roof, dangling wire and water dripping onto the floor.
The soot blackened windows at Eatwell cafe and the Money Shop, both of which were closed this morning, revealed extensive smoke damage.
A Sue Ryder spokesman confirmed the fire began in their store and that an investigation was under way to determine the cause.
The charity, which raises funds for palliative, neurological and bereavement care, will be looking at ways to make up funds due to the closure of the shop.
- 1 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 2 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 3 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 4 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 5 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 6 Queen's Platinum Jubilee flypast rehearses over Norfolk
- 7 Boat users given fines over £16k for breaking rules on Norfolk Broads
- 8 Norfolk couple: 'We’ve lost £30k in cryptocurrency scam'
- 9 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 10 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts