Samaritans in King’s Lynn offer a helping hand to many for half a century
- Credit: Matthew Usher
This year marks the 50th anniversary of the King's Lynn branch of Samaritans, the charity which provides a listening ear to people in distress and despair.
Based in Queen Street, the charity is committed to reducing the number of suicides and over the last year it's 60 volunteers responded to over 17,000 contacts.
As well as supporting people through phone, text, email and face-to-face, the charity also supports listeners who act as Samaritans in prisons.
Director Gill Sale said: 'We promote emotional wellbeing in local schools through our Schools Project and we currently have a partnership with Network Rail to reduce the number of suicides on railways.'
Ms Sale said improvements will be made to the centre to make it more suitable for modern use, adding: 'We are a totally self-funded local charity. We would welcome the support of local businesses and organisations to help us raise funds for this or to donate equipment.'
You may also want to watch:
King's Lynn Samaritans has joined the Love West Norfolk campaign, which celebrates all that West Norfolk has to offer including the thousands of people who give up their time and volunteer for numerous charities.
When asked what she loved about West Norfolk, Ms Sale said: 'The people who make a difference to King's Lynn Samaritans.'
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 6 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 7 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 8 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 9 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 10 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
She added: 'West Norfolk's warm hearted and generous people provide us with a wonderful team of volunteers and support our many fund-raising events.'
The charity is looking for volunteers. For more information contact Gill Sale on 07341304625 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. An open evening will be held at the centre in 26 Queen Street, King's Lynn, on Wednesday, March 7, at 7pm.
For more information about Samaritans, visit: www.samaritans.org/branches/kings-lynn-samaritans.