Neighbours buy Christmas gifts for family who lost everything in house fire
PUBLISHED: 06:00 23 December 2017 | UPDATED: 10:19 23 December 2017
A community has rallied round to donate Christmas gifts to a family who lost everything in a devastating house fire.
Graham Withers had to tell his three young sons they will only be getting small gifts for Christmas this year after the house fire left them homeless.
Last month, a fire devastated their home in Sir Lewis Street, King’s Lynn and Alex, 13, Tommy, 12, and eight-year-old Dominic Withers could only watch in tears as the fire destroyed everything.
Tommy had even lost his birthday presents from the month before and the brothers were only left with the clothes they had on.
But as the family prepare to spend most of the festive period in a homeless shelter, the people of King’s Lynn have showed the spirit of goodwill.
“There are a lot of nice people out there,” said Mr Withers. “I still have quite a lot of stuff in suitcases that people have given us.”
The Salvation Army have provided the family with food and the boys were given more clothes than they had before.
The generosity of neighbours knows no bounds as the boys were also gifted an Xbox games console, a television and even laptops from KES Academy.
The school also raised close to £350 - most of which was done through a bake sale by student Laisha Tapp, who is in Tommy’s year.
Laisha’s mum, Gemma Hudson, said: “I am so proud of Laisha and the effort she put in to fundraising. I would also like to mention how proud I am of the other kids who helped out with the bake sale.
“To see all these kids grow up together and still look out for each other is heartwarming and shows they are growing up to be wonderful people.
Eastgate Academy, Dominic’s school, also raised £100 for the family.
Mr Withers said the family will be spending Christmas Day at his daughter Emma’s flat. However as there is not enough room for them all they will spend most of the holidays in a homeless shelter, where they have been staying since the fire.
“It is better than nothing,” Mr Withers said. “As long as I have a roof over my head and the kids are warm. “We hope things can get better in the New Year but I’d like to thank everyone who have done their best to help.”