Kangaroo in Kangoo gives AA mechanic ‘jump start’
- Credit: PA
An AA mechanic called to repair a broken-down Renault Kangoo was shocked to find a baby kangaroo on the passenger seat.
Andy Jones initially feared he was the victim of a wind-up when AA member Zachary Hollinshead, a zoo director, told him a pouch in his vehicle contained a marsupial.
Mr Jones came across the unusual cargo after being called to a village in Staffordshire to help a driver whose ignition key would not turn.
'I asked what was in the bag and when the member told me it was a kangaroo I thought he was joking,' the AA patrolman said.
'I was a bit nervous at first, I was concerned about it jumping off the seat, but the member assured me it wouldn't as it stays close to him. I held it and stroked it – it was very tame.'
You may also want to watch:
The four-month old kangaroo, named Matilda, is one of a number of animals being cared for at the Wild Encounters zoological park at Bobbington, near Wolverhampton, which is due to open to the public this summer.
Mr Hollinshead, who is hand-rearing the kangaroo, said: 'I was on my way to work when the ignition broke, so I was stranded in the middle of nowhere with animals and had to call the AA.'
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 6 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 7 Petrol station queues causing rush-hour delays
- 8 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 9 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 10 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
Other animals, which had been moved out of the van and collected by fellow zoo keepers before Mr Jones arrived included a young owl.
AA president Edmund King said: 'Our patrols come across the unexpected every day, but this case was certainly an unusual one and brings a new meaning to the term jump start!'