Jubilee wish as church bells ring out again at Necton
The sound of church bells can be heard again after several years at Necton.
The chance to use the ring of six at All Saints' Church again came about after the completion last autumn of a major, 18-month restoration project on the tower and its wooden cupola, a distinctive landmark for motorists passing by on the A47 between Dereham and Swaffham.
And now, up to 19 people are gathering for bell-handling sessions with experienced ringers Brian Laing, from Whissonsett, Roger Peckham, of Ashill, and Peter Trent, from Great Ryburgh.
There's the possibility of a handful more joining them soon, too.
The learners include the rector, the Rev Stephen Thorp, and his wife Ruth.
You may also want to watch:
Churchwarden Di Daniels, who is also learning to handle a bell rope at the age of 68, said no regular pattern of practices had yet been fixed but the learners had been going along to intensive lessons on Saturday mornings and Thursday afternoons for the past few weeks. She added that they were enjoying the experience 'very, very much'.
'When the work on the tower was finished, we were able to ask: 'Can we ring our bells again?' Peter and Roger came out and had a look and said that, with a bit of work, they could be rung,' said Di.
- 1 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 2 Landlady warns community pubs are being 'crucified' by new measures
- 3 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 4 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 5 Norfolk hospitals have discharged over 1,100 coronavirus patients
- 6 Water outages hit homes across city
- 7 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 8 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 9 People released from car after crash closes road
- 10 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
'We are aiming to ring for the Queen's [diamond] jubilee and the Olympics.'
More details about bellringing at Necton will be posted soon on the church website, www.nectonallsaints.co.uk, or you can call Di on 01760 722356.