Johanna Young case: Arrested Watton man is re-bailed

Watton teenager Johanna Young

Watton teenager Johanna Young

A man arrested in connection with the unsolved death of Watton teenager Johanna Young has been re-bailed until the beginning of July, police confirmed today.

The man, in his 40s from the Watton area, was questioned by detectives after fresh information came to light about the cold case following a high-profile renewed appeal by the parents of the teenager, whose body was found on Boxing Day in 1992.

A second man, in his 30s and from the Thetford area, was also arrested but was released from bail earlier this week and will have no further action taken against him.

Detectives leading the investigation welcomed the initial response to the new information uncovered by the inquiry at the end of last month.

Detective Inspector Marie James, said: 'Both our appeal in December and our detailed update around the critical lines of inquiry received a very positive response.

You may also want to watch:

'This included taking nearly a dozen calls following the media appeals at the end of last month.

'We have been greatly encouraged by the information the team continue to receive on this investigation and our appeal remains for people to look to their consciences and consider ringing us, even if they thought at the time the information irrelevant.'

Most Read

In December, Johanna's parents issued a heartfelt plea to help detectives in their search for new leads. Johanna left her home in Merton Road in the town on December 23 at 7.30pm but did not return home that night.

They assumed she had stayed at her boyfriend's because of the foggy and cold weather.

But when Johanna failed to turn up for her paper round at 7am, her parents Robert and Carol reported their daughter missing.

When Johanna's body was found in undergrowth near Griston Road, she was covered in scratches and was partially clothed.

A post-mortem examination showed she had died from drowning and a fractured skull.

Anyone who has any information for the police should call 101.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus