Paralympian Jessica-jane Applegate hands over new swimming award in her name
- Credit: Archant
A member of the Great Yarmouth Swimming Club has been presented with a special new award named after paralympic swimmer Jessica-Jane Applegate.
Emma Jordan was presented with the Applegate Shield for the 800m freestyle by Miss Applegate on Saturday at a club night.
The shield was donated to the club by councillor Shirley Weymouth in recognition of Miss Applegate's record in the 800m freestyle in Berlin last year.
Miss Applegate said: 'I was honoured to have a shield donated to the club in my name and it was such a privilege to meet Emma and present her with the shield. She thoroughly deserves it.
'I know how tough 800m freestyle is. It takes guts and endurance to take on a long distance, I have a feeling Emma will be challenging me soon.
You may also want to watch:
'Great Yarmouth has a history of exceptional swimmers and from what I saw Saturday evening there are many more in the making.'
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 4 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 5 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 6 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 7 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 8 Firefighters ripping out thatch to stop house fire spreading
- 9 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 10 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named