Jazz musician Kit Downes to perform in Norwich for Young Norfolk Arts Festival
- Credit: Archant
Former Norwich School-pupil-turned-jazz-pianist Kit Downes is returning to the city this weekend to take part in the Young Norfolk Arts Festival.
Kit will be performing in a special concert at Epic Studios in Norwich where he will share the stage with current pupils from the school. The Norwich School Jazz Band and Friends Night, which features the Kit Downes Trio, will take place tomorrow evening.
Kit, now 27 and who grew up in Wicklewood, studied at both the Purcell School of Music and the Royal Academy of Music after leaving Norwich School, and the pianist and composer has gone on to carve a successful transatlantic career, performing throughout Europe and America.
He said his career highlights to date include being nominated for the prestigious Mercury Award in 2010 for his debut album Golden, and touring America with the band Empirical and also with British saxophone player Julian Arguelles.
Kit said he was looking forward to taking part in tomorrow night's show and that he would be performing with his band that includes Calum Gourlay on bass and James Maddren on drums,
You may also want to watch:
'It's nice to be able to play in my own home town in front of friends and family,' he said. 'It's all original compositions in the vein of jazz and blues with piano, drums and bass.'
Saxophonist Finlay McEwan, who won the Norfolk Young Musician 2013 prize, will also be performing at the concert tomorrow night as well as the Norwich School Senior Jazz Band.
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 3 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 4 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 5 Man in critical condition after being stabbed in Thetford
- 6 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 7 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 8 Unlikely new use for city's Samson and Hercules building
- 9 'Pray for Paul today' - wife's plea as gallbladder op victim faces surgery
- 10 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
The concert is at Epic Studios, in Magdalen Street, on Sunday at 7.30pm. Tickets £10 (£8 concessions). Box office – www.epic-tv.com/events or 01603 727727.