Jake Humphrey’s call for people to back Norwich Sport Relief Games this weekend
- Credit: Archant
TV presenter Jake Humphrey is urging people to join him at the Norwich Sport Relief Games at UEA on Sunday.
It comes as people across the region take on fun physical challenges and raise money to do themselves proud for charity.
Norwich is one of just six UK cities to host a flagship games, with running, swimming and cycling taking place in and around Sportspark and the UEA campus.
'You don't have to be the fastest person on the planet to take part,' said Mr Humphrey, who lives near Norwich. 'You can just go down there, run, walk, swim or cycle and it's a lot of fun.
'I might be getting my swimming trunks on and heading down on Sunday.
'I'll be shouting and cheering people on.'
He added he had been a keen supporter of Sport Relief for more than a decade, since he travelled to India to see poverty firsthand as part of a documentary programme.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 3 Teenager admits stabbing three people in Norwich city centre
- 4 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 5 Confusion as people in Norfolk mistakenly turn up for booster jab
- 6 More than 80 Norfolk parishes protest against wind farm plans
- 7 Norfolk hotel set to launch five romantic orchard cabins next year
- 8 MP 'not concerned' about single Omicron case in north Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk Labour website tells people not to vote for party
- 10 Man stopped 504 people from getting jabs after gluing vaccine centre locks
Funds raised will help projects internationally, as well as those closer to home.
'It benefits long-term charities in the city,' said Mr Humphrey.
People across the region have already been getting stuck in to support the good cause.
Three students from Easton and Otley College hope that, together with a team of 40, they will swim the equivalent distance of the English Channel at Riverside Leisure Centre in Norwich on April 23, and have been hosting other fundraising events including a cake sale.
Action at the UEA will start from 9am on Sunday, with plenty of entertainment laid on for visitors.
For details, see www.sportrelief.com/