Jaguar Land Rover named UK’s largest car manufacturer
- Credit: Jaguar Land Rover
British company Jaguar Land Rover produced three in every 10 vehicles built in the UK last year.
Jaguar Land Rover has once again been named the UK's biggest automotive manufacturer, with 544,401 vehicles produced in 2016.
This figure accounted for 30% of all cars produced domestically last year, and also represents an 8% increase in production when compared with 2015.
Since 2009, the company has increased its annual output by 245%, with 158,000 units built that year. The numbers for 2016 further highlight the dramatic transformation Jaguar Land Rover has gone through over the past few years.
Andy Goss, Jaguar Land Rover global sales director, said: 'Jaguar Land Rover has once again shown that investment in new models, skills and advanced technology are critically important to ensure Britain has a thriving automotive industry – even in the face of current uncertainty.
You may also want to watch:
'To be the UK's largest automotive business once again is a tremendous achievement. We are proud to call ourselves a British company and are committed to ensuring manufacturing remains the backbone of the British economy.'
JLR's bold investment plan was the driving force behind its record year, with 15 new and improved models arriving to market. The new Jaguar F-Pace was the company's highest-volume model, and increased Jaguar production by 67%.
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 4 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 5 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 8 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 9 Police appeal for witnesses after pedestrian struck by car on A47
- 10 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
Land Rover's highest-volume car was the Range Rover Evoque, which saw a production increase following the introduction of the convertible variant.
Exports play a huge role in JLR, with 80% of vehicles produced at the company's three manufacturing plants in the UK being sent to 136 foreign markets.
Nissan followed JLR as the UK's second biggest automotive manufacturer, with 507,444 vehicles produced according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders. MINIrounded out the top three with 210,973 units.