Jaguar Land Rover named UK’s largest car manufacturer
- Credit: Jaguar Land Rover
British company Jaguar Land Rover produced three in every 10 vehicles built in the UK last year.
Jaguar Land Rover has once again been named the UK's biggest automotive manufacturer, with 544,401 vehicles produced in 2016.
This figure accounted for 30% of all cars produced domestically last year, and also represents an 8% increase in production when compared with 2015.
Since 2009, the company has increased its annual output by 245%, with 158,000 units built that year. The numbers for 2016 further highlight the dramatic transformation Jaguar Land Rover has gone through over the past few years.
Andy Goss, Jaguar Land Rover global sales director, said: 'Jaguar Land Rover has once again shown that investment in new models, skills and advanced technology are critically important to ensure Britain has a thriving automotive industry – even in the face of current uncertainty.
You may also want to watch:
'To be the UK's largest automotive business once again is a tremendous achievement. We are proud to call ourselves a British company and are committed to ensuring manufacturing remains the backbone of the British economy.'
JLR's bold investment plan was the driving force behind its record year, with 15 new and improved models arriving to market. The new Jaguar F-Pace was the company's highest-volume model, and increased Jaguar production by 67%.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 4 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 5 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 6 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 7 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 8 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 9 Firefighters ripping out thatch to stop house fire spreading
- 10 City draw up target list
Land Rover's highest-volume car was the Range Rover Evoque, which saw a production increase following the introduction of the convertible variant.
Exports play a huge role in JLR, with 80% of vehicles produced at the company's three manufacturing plants in the UK being sent to 136 foreign markets.
Nissan followed JLR as the UK's second biggest automotive manufacturer, with 507,444 vehicles produced according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders. MINIrounded out the top three with 210,973 units.