‘It was wonderland’ - fans react to Take That’s second Norwich show
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
International pop superstars Take That have wrapped up their second Norwich stadium show and the fans' verdict is in: it was wonderland.
The trio - Gary Barlow, Howard Donald, Mark Owen - played for two hours on a specially-built stage at Carrow Road - first on Thursday evening and again tonight (Friday, June 16).
Some fans had hoped for a surprise appearance from a special guest - rumoured even to be former member Robbie Williams.
But Williams's absence did not dampen the mood of the up to 60,000 fans who flocked to the two Norwich gigs as part of Take That's Wonderland tour.
Katie Lake, from Norwich, described the performance as 'awesome'.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'It was so nice to hear them singing the old songs that everybody knows - Rule the World, Relight My Fire.
'They have still got it and it doesn't matter that there are only three of them now.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 3 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 4 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 5 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
'There was meant to be a surprise - nothing happened but we loved them anyway.'
Charlotte Buck, 23, from Attleborough, said she was impressed, even though she does not count herself among the band's legion of hard-core fans.
She said: 'I'm normally not a Take That fan but I thought it was extremely good.
'Relight My Fire was a highlight, and the fireworks when Rule the World was on were great too. I heard a rumour that Robbie was going to be there, but he didn't turn up.'
Mandy Moore, from Wymondham, said a highlight for her was: 'When Gary came down from the stage and he was right in front of us.'
Ms Moore went on to praise the organisation of the concert, saying: 'The atmosphere was brilliant and the security was really well done as well.'
Karen Milward travelled from Newmarket to see the show.
She said: 'It was amazing - so great seeing Gary Barlow and Mark Owen. They always put on a good show.
'I've seen them before in London, so it was really nice to see them in a smaller venue.'
Don't miss Monday's newspaper for our 24-page supplement When Take That Came To Norwich.
For more stories about Take That click here