“It was like an episode of Tom and Jerry live” - CCTV roadworkers find real life underground game of cat and mouse
- Credit: Archant
Highways England road workers were in for a surprise when they spotted a real life game of cat and mouse down a drainage tunnel they were repairing lining on.
The operatives were doing the work off the A120 at Wix, in Essex, as part of a £5.98 million package of maintenance and improvement work across the A12 and A120.
Having installed the new drainage, the operatives ran a camera down to check for any problems and ensure everything had gone smoothly.
Their cameras soon picked up a large rat heading down one of the drains.
While this was no real shock, what was less expected was the hungry domestic cat in hot pursuit of the rodent, which the cameras picked up just a minute later.
You may also want to watch:
Site supervisor Jason Appleton, who was overseeing the team, said: 'Sometimes we see rats going down the drains, but it's the first time we've ever seen an intrepid moggy in hot pursuit. It was like an episode of Tom and Jerry live.
'Occasionally when we have diversions in place for our road works residents express concerns about their village being used as a rat run. I don't think anyone ever expected this drainage to be used as one.'
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 3 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 4 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 5 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 6 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 7 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 8 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 9 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 10 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument