‘It’s like a dream’ - how simple Facebook video catapulted Norwich teenager Bailey May to fame in the Philippines
- Credit: Matthew May.
When he recorded a simple online video, Norwich teenager Bailey May had no idea it would catapult him to stardom in the Philippines.
But that is exactly what it has done, after the Notre Dame High School student's video went viral with nearly 100,000 views - and led to a glittering television and music career.
Since releasing the the cover of Beautiful Girl by Sean Kingston in March 2015 as a video on Facebook, his family noticed most of the attention seemed to be coming from his native Philippines.
So Bailey went on to successfully audition for the country's own version of Big Brother.
And after finishing fourth in the hit television show, he has had to move back to his native country after moving to the UK when he was just four years old.
You may also want to watch:
'It was really hard at first moving to the Philippines, because I had left all my friends and family behind,' Bailey said.
'But it's awesome here. It's like a dream. I never expected any of this to happen to me.'
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 3 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 4 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 5 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 6 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 7 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 8 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift
- 9 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 10 A47 closed in both directions after crash
'I knew I had gained a lot attention off my social media after posting my videos. Then when I came out of the Pinoy Big Brother House, it was so crazy and overwhelming to have so much attention.'
Since his first television appearance, he has launched an award-winning music career.
He was named Best Breakthrough Artist at the RAWAR Awards and released an album called Bailey.
'I'm doing a album tour around the Philippines and I'm appearing as a guest in TV shows,' he said.
'I have also been in training for the past nine months for a new TV programme I will be taping that very soon. I'm very excited for that.
'I'm so thankful for my fans supporting me since the start and I promise I will work hard to make you happy.'
Bailey's popularity has lead to him becoming an endorser for Coca-Cola, Jollibee, Bench and Huawei Mobile.
He is hoping to return to Norwich later this year and will be attending the Barrio Fiesta in London.