Ipswich Town condemns “idiotic behaviour” of fans who lit flares during clash against Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Ipswich Town Football Club has condemned the 'idiotic behaviour' of fans who lit flares during Sunday's derby clash against Norwich City.
Seven arrests were made following the 1-1 draw, with two in relation to flares.
Yellow smoke rose from the crowds when Norwich went a goal up, leading to a number of fans being treated by staff for the effects of smoke.
A 34-year-old man from Ipswich was arrested on suspicion of discharging a flare while a 45-year-old man from Norwich was arrested on suspicion of possessing a lit flare inside the ground.
Both men have been released on bail until September 12.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the club said: 'We obviously condemn the idiotic behaviour of those who set off flares inside the stadium and are working closely with the police to identify the culprits.
'We understand two arrests have already been made over the matter.'
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 4 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 5 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 6 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 7 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 8 Former pubs, schools and leisure centres among arson-hit sites
- 9 Why teacher was right to report Confederate flag to police
- 10 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
Meanwhile, two men from Essex are due to appear in court charged with breaching an order during the police operation for Sunday's fixture.
Karen Willie, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary, said Sam de la Rue, 23, of Rawlings Crescent, Colchester, and 57-year-old Timothy Brown, of Vane Court, Witham, are accused of failing to comply with a section 35 order to leave a designated area following anti-social behaviour.
De la Rue is due to appear before South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court in Ipswich on September 6.
Brown is scheduled to appear at the same court on September 20.
Three further arrests were made at the game.
A 29-year-old from Felixstowe detained on suspicion of affray has been released on bail until September 26. A 23-year-old man from Norwich held on suspicion of assault has been bailed until August 31.
Another 23-year-old man from Norwich has been cautioned for possession of cocaine.