Aldi apologises after father finds caterpillars in his broccoli
PUBLISHED: 09:53 22 October 2019 | UPDATED: 14:59 22 October 2019
A father said he felt disgusted after he found insects in a broccoli from Aldi that he was preparing for his infant son.
Joao Matos, of the Ladies Estate, in Thetford, was preparing a healthy meal for one-year-old Joao Jr when he looked down at the pack of broccoli he had bought from the store, in Lime Kiln Lane, Thetford, and discovered caterpillars throughout the florets.
The electronic store worker said: "I felt a bit disgusted, especially because that was for my baby.
"I know it means they don't have pesticides but I think it's all down to the quality of the packing factories - they don't care.
"Not even to mention the fact that all the fruit and vegetables from Aldi only last like three days and Tesco last a week or more."
Eating a caterpillar can cause an allergic reaction which can affect the skin, eyes and lungs.
An Aldi spokesman said: "Unfortunately, although these instances are rare, this can happen with products that are grown outdoors in natural conditions.
You may also want to watch:
"We apologise to Mr Matos and have shared his feedback with our supplier."
Despite this Mr Matos said he now goes to other stores to do his shopping.
The 31-year-old added: "I know if I didn't spot it he [Joao Jr] could have been sick or worse.
"This has happen to me a couple of months ago too.
"To be honest I only go there for milk and water now, the rest of my shopping I prefer to pay a bit more and go to Tesco.
"You have to be extra careful but sometimes you can't see it, because I look properly at everything but sometimes you can't spot it until you open it.
"There are people that don't mind, but for me that's it, saving some pennies it's not worth it."
Mr Matos posted images of the caterpillars on social media where the find received mixed reactions.
Many shared his disgust at finding the insects and shared their own incidents while others said they would have washed and eaten the vegetable.