Homeless man found on fire suffered burns to 85pc of body, inquest hears
- Credit: Archant
A young homeless man from Norfolk suffered burns to 85pc of his body after being found on fire, an inquest heard.
Edward Hinds was discovered on fire near a YMCA hostel in Peterborough at about 8.20am on November 8.
He was initially taken to Peterborough City Hospital by ambulance, but was later airlifted to a specialist burns unit in Chelmsford.
The 22-year-old, of no fixed address, died a day later at Broomfield Hospital.
At an inquest at Huntingdon Coroners' Court, his medical cause of death was given as multiple organ failure as a result of 'flame burns' to 85pc of his body and smoke inhalation.
You may also want to watch:
Cambridgeshire police said Mr Hinds was from the Norfolk area.
Speaking earlier this month, passer-by Shazad Ali described how he rushed over to help Mr Hinds.
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 3 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 4 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 5 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 6 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 7 Woman who got stuck in marshes rescued by coastguards
- 8 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 9 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 10 1,000 people book for Norwich restaurant's 'back out to help out' offer
The 33-year-old spotted him engulfed in flames outside the YMCA on Wellington Street.
He said: 'It was horrific to see. He was fully alight, head to toe.
'I was about to get out of my car to go to the shop and saw him out of the corner of my eye about 50m away.
'I couldn't believe what I was watching. He was walking at a normal pace, he wasn't screaming or shouting.
'Your mind plays crazy games with you, and I thought 'this is a stunt or a scene from a film'.
'But I drove as fast as I could to get to him.
'His skin was blistering up and that was the moment I realised the fire was not stopping.'
Mr Ali, who lives in Peterborough, said he used his jacket to smother the flames.
Another woman arrived at the scene and the pair both covered the man to protect him from the elements.
The opening of Mr Hinds' inquest on November 23 was adjourned tp May 16, 2019.