Murderer Graham Birchwood dies in HMP Wayland, inquest hears
- Credit: Archant
An inquest has opened into the death of a man who was serving time for murder at HMP Wayland.
Graham Birchwood, 65, died of natural causes at HMP Wayland in Griston, Thetford on September 9.
In 2009 the former businessman from Surrey was jailed for 32 years for the murder of his ex-wife, Sharon Birchwood.
At the time of his conviction, a court heard how Birchwood had hired another man to kill his wife in a contract killing in order to inherit his ex-wife's property.
Birchwood had his sentence reduced to 29 years in 2011.
You may also want to watch:
At an inquest opening into Birchwood's death, held at Norfolk Coroner's Court in Norwich on Tuesday, the court heard he had been born in London in 1953.
Birchwood's cause of death was given as 1A heart disease with 1B type one diabetes.
- 1 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 2 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 3 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 4 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 5 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 6 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 7 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 8 Why teacher was right to report Confederate flag to police
- 9 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
- 10 Former pubs, schools and leisure centres among arson-hit sites
The inquest has been adjourned for a pre-inquest review hearing at Norfolk Coroner's Court, Carrow House, on February 21, 2020.