Inquest opened for Watton golf club founder who died in fire

A golf club founder from Watton who died in a fire was found sitting in his living-room armchair by firefighters, an inquest heard.

Richard Jessup, 66, known as Dick, lived at the Richmond Park Golf Club in Saham Road, Watton, which caught fire on April 18.

Mr Jessup, who suffered with multiple sclerosis and used an electric chair, was visited by his son at around 11am on the day of the fire, coroner William Armstrong said at yesterday's inquest opening in Norwich.

'Approximately an hour later, neighbours discovered a fire in Mr Jessup's home but despite attempts to rescue him they were beaten back by the flames,' he said.

Mr Armstrong said there were no suspicious circumstances and adjourned the inquest to a later date.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus