Inquest into death of Norwich homeless man delayed as police probe continues two years on
- Credit: Submitted
The inquest into the death of homeless man Sergiusz Meges, whose body was found in a Norwich underpass more than two years ago, can still not take place because a police investigation is continuing.
June 10 this year marked the second anniversary of the discovery of the 29-year-old's body in St Stephen's underpass.
His death was initially treated as unexplained.
But forensic inquiries revealed the Polish national had suffered fatal injuries to his spleen.
That led to a murder inquiry which resulted in the arrest of two men.
You may also want to watch:
But no further action was taken against the pair, who were both from the Norwich area.
In the summer, Detective Chief Inspector Marie James, from the Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team (MIT) said there were currently no active lines of inquiry regarding the investigation.
- 1 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 4 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 5 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 6 Christmas craft, food and gift fair returning to Norfolk estate
- 7 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 8 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 9 Banham Zoo welcomes birth of two tiger cubs
- 10 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
But she insisted the case was still 'open' and urged anyone with any information that might 'develop the case further' to get in touch.
She added: 'It's one we really want to solve.
'He was vulnerable because he was homeless. If anyone has any information I would urge them to come forward.'
An inquest into Mr Meges's death was originally opened on July 13, but the full inquest has yet to take place.
And today, Norfolk senior coroner Jacqueline Lake held a review into the process around his inquest.
She said: 'I understand that the police investigation is still ongoing and in light of that, I propose adjourning for a further pre inquest review on February 20 2018.'
Mr Meges, who was known as Sergio, was known to have had previous addresses in both Norwich and Thetford, but had been homeless in Norwich at the time of his death.
Anyone who could assist with inquiries into Mr Meges' death should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.