Inquest into death of 22-year-old swimmer at Norfolk beauty spot
- Credit: Ilja Jevtusenko
An inquest will be heard today into the death of a 22-year-old man who drowned at a Norfolk beauty spot.
Emergency services launched a major search at Bawsey Country Park, near King's Lynn, on August 8, 2020, after reports a man had gone missing in a lake.
Firefighters later recovered the body of Kristers Bednarskis, who lived in Peterborough, from the water. Friends paid tribute to "an excellent young man" and raised £4,600 towards his funeral costs with a crowd funding appeal.
Opening the inquest into Mr Bednarskis's death, on January 4, area coroner Yvonne Blake said the cause of death was drowning.
Mr Bednarskis is the third man to lose his life swimming at Bawsey in less than a decade.
Lakes at the country park are flooded former quarries, where depths can plunge to 60ft.
A 41-year-old man from King’s Lynn and a 16-year-old boy from London drowned on the same day in July 2013.
Today's hearing will be before senior coroner for Norfolk Jaqueline Lake, at the coroner's court n Norwich.
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 3 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 4 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 5 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 6 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 7 Appeal for rescuers to come forward following Sea Palling incident
- 8 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 9 Hethersett high school sends pupils home after four coronavirus cases
- 10 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146