Inquest hears how Diss man died after being thrown over motocross bike handlebars

PUBLISHED: 17:35 19 November 2015 | UPDATED: 17:55 19 November 2015

Besthorpe Moto X and Quad Tracks.

Besthorpe Moto X and Quad Tracks. Picture: ANTONY KELLY

Archant Norfolk 2015

A man who died at Besthorpe Motocross Track suffered multiple rib fractures after coming off his bike, an inquest heard today.

Besthorpe Moto X and Quad Tracks.
Picture: ANTONY KELLYBesthorpe Moto X and Quad Tracks. Picture: ANTONY KELLY

Mark Davis, of Thelnetham, Diss, was thrown over the handlebars of his new Honda 250cc Enduro after landing badly off a jump ramp.

The 51-year-old had been practising at the track when the accident happened shortly before 3.30pm on October 10.

An inquest in Norwich today heard that Mr Davis was pronounced dead by paramedics just over an hour later.

Giving evidence, track manager Mark Brown said: “He had not been for a number of years so I let him go with the novice group. He was well aware he would need to take it easy and got more confident throughout the day.

Lap of honour

Mark Brown, manager at Besthorpe Motocross Track, said plans were in place to commemorate Mark Davis.

He said: “We are going to invite the family over and do a lap in Mark’s honour. The family has already said they would like to come and see it.”

Mr Brown said a date is yet to be arranged for the event.

“There were only four riders on the track when the crash happened. I heard the radio call come through to say the track medic was needed and I ran over. I could see it was bad. Mark was not breathing.”

The track is around one-mile long and consists of 14 jumps varying in height and difficulty.

The inquest heard that Mr Davis, who had ridden bikes for several years, had been able to complete around half of the jumps.

But shortly before 3.30pm he crashed after landing on his front wheel off a tabletop ramp.

Track marshal Dale Brown, 23, said: “He was still holding onto the bike as the front wheel hit. I have seen a lot of crashes and when people know they are going to fall off they let go. I think he was so tired he did not let go.”

The inquest heard how Mr Davis did not stand up to take the jump, which is important to maintain balance in the air.

His long-term partner, Susan Collins, questioned whether it was due to Mr Davis becoming tired.

She added: “Mark was a very strong person and I was worried something had happened to him prior to taking the jump. It would be unusual for Mark not to have the strength to do that.”

First aider Alan Kennison provided Mr Davis with initial medical care. On arrival, he said that the rider’s goggles had come off and his face was slate grey.

Two ambulances and an air ambulance attended the scene, but they were unable to revive him.

A post mortem found that he died of an intrathoracic haemorrhage and severe chest trauma with multiple rib fractures.

Jeremy Hadaway, health and safety inspector for Breckland Council, said there was no problem with the track.

Assistant coroner Johanna Thompson concluded that Mr Davis’ death was an accident.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press