Search

Man 'confessed' to killing homeless man Sergiusz Meges to club doorman, inquest hears

PUBLISHED: 15:54 25 June 2018 | UPDATED: 12:33 26 June 2018

Sergiusz Meges who was killed in St Stephen's underpass in Norwich. Photo: The Peoples' Picnic/Facebook

Sergiusz Meges who was killed in St Stephen's underpass in Norwich. Photo: The Peoples' Picnic/Facebook

Archant

A man claimed on a night out that he had killed a homeless man because he was pestering him for money, an inquest has heard.

Sergiusz Meges was killed in St Stephen's underpass in Norwich. PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAYSergiusz Meges was killed in St Stephen's underpass in Norwich. PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY

Sergiusz Meges, 29, was found dead in a pedestrian underpass in Norwich on June 10 2015.

A post-mortem examination recorded he had suffered injuries “in keeping with an impact to the lower chest” that could have been a “kick, stamp or possibly a forceful punch to the left side of the lower chest” but may also have been a fall.

The medical cause of death was given as haemorrhaging and splenic lacerations.

Doorman Lee Copeland said he was on a night out in Norwich when he was approached outside a nightclub by a man he had not met before on June 17 2015.

The area in St Stephen’s subway where Sergiusz Meges was found dead.
PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAYThe area in St Stephen’s subway where Sergiusz Meges was found dead. PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY

The man asked Mr Copeland for a lighter and asked if he was having a good night, he told Monday’s hearing in Norwich.

“He said, ‘I’m making the most of it as I will be banged up soon’,” said Mr Copeland.

“He said, ‘You know the guy in the underground? I killed him. I kicked him in the head’.

“I asked him why he had done that.

“He said because he was pestering him for money.”

Mr Copeland, who said he had been drinking that night, said the man had also been drinking.

He said he had not called police immediately.

“I didn’t know whether to believe him. I didn’t want it to escalate. I didn’t want conflict at that time.”

Mr Copeland said he told police later that day, and was unable to pick the man out of a police identity parade at a later date.

Two men were arrested in connection with the death of Mr Meges and were later told they face no further action.

The body of the Polish national was found by two homelessness prevention workers who were carrying out welfare checks at places where rough sleepers were known to sleep and beg.

He was not wearing trousers, and paramedics had to cut through six layers of clothing before they got to his chest to try to treat him.

Mr Meges, described by GP Sean Holt - who had previously met him - as a “chronic alcoholic”, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The inquest heard Mr Meges had fractured ribs on his left side and no defensive injuries, possibly as he was “severely intoxicated” at the time.

Tests showed he had 359 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood at the time.

The drink-drive limit in England is 80 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood.

Helen Woodruff, a nurse at City Reach, a service which helps homeless people, said Mr Meges had previously claimed to her that he was from Ukraine, was discharged from the army and had lost his wife and son.

No family members were present at the hearing, which is listed for two days.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists