Ice, Ice Baby: family joy for rink couple
- Credit: Archant
The Norwich Ice rink has held a special place in many skater's hearts since visiting last year.
However, the rink is a particularly magical place for Danielle Spurgeon and her fiance Shane Clarke, who got engaged on the rink last year, on December 11.
Since their engagement, the pair have welcomed a baby boy, Leonardo, who was born on September 12.
'He's a cutie,' Danielle, full-time mum, said.
'When Shane proposed on the ice it made it so much more special, it was just amazing.
'Especially as it meant my friends and family could be there too.
'I love skating, and at our engagement party one of our presents was a tiny pair of his and hers skates!'
- 1 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 2 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 5 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 6 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 7 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 8 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 9 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 10 Customers travelling across Norfolk to try pub's 'afternoon sea'
The pair will be returning to the ice this year thanks to their special experience last December.
'We'll definitely be coming back, I'm not sure about bringing Leo on the ice though,' Miss Spurgeon, who is from Mile Cross, added.
And any chance of a winter wedding?
'No,' Danielle, 26, laughed. 'We're actually going to get married next summer, somewhere outside in some lovely gardens or big grounds.
'I haven't really got around to planning it yet – everything's been about the baby!'
The Norwich Ice Rink, sponsored by Jack and the Beanstalk at the Norwich Theatre Royal, will open this year on Friday, December 16 and run until January 8 2017, from 10am to 9pm.
The rink will be extra ice-tastic thanks to the extra 100m2 added to the previously 200m rink.
Skaters will also be guaranteed an authentic experience thanks to the real ice used to create the rink.
And children will be delighted to hear that the Snowy Joey bouncy castle is returning to the Castle Mall Gardens beside the rink.
There's fun for all the family, so book your tickets in advance at icerinknorwich.co.uk, to guarantee your place on the ice.