‘I told him I loved him and he told me he loved me. I knew he was dying’ - Widow of Lowestoft man Stuart Cullen, killed in Tunisia terror attack, gives evidence at inquest
- Credit: PA
The widow of a Lowestoft man killed in a terrorist attack in Tunisia told an inquest the shooter had taken away the love of her life.
Stuart Cullen, 52, was with his wife Christine in Sousse when Seifeddine Rezgui opened fire at the five-star Riu Imperial Marhaba Hotel on June 26, 2015.
Mr Cullen was one of 38 people killed in the attack, 30 of which were British.
At an inquest into their deaths, being held at the Royal Courts of Justice, Mrs Cullen described running away from the sounds of the gunshots into a staff corridor.
But as the sounds got closer, they were shown out of a door that led to the front car park.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Cullen then saw the gunman throw a bomb towards them.
She said: 'As it exploded, it lit up our surroundings with orange and red light.'
- 1 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 4 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 5 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 8 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 9 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 10 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
When Mrs Cullen bent down to pick up her Kindle and flip-flops, which she had dropped during the explosion, she saw her husband lying on the ground.
The inquest heard Mrs Cullen felt a pain in her leg and dropped to the floor.
Noticing that the former prison officer was bleeding heavily from the neck, she tried to stop the flow with her hand.
She said: 'I told him I could not stop the surge of blood. I told him I loved him and he told me he loved me. I knew he was dying.'
The inquest was told that Rezgui then walked towards the couple, from Lowestoft, Suffolk, and despite Mrs Cullen's cries of 'No, no', shot Mr Cullen.
Mrs Cullen said the shooter had taken away the love of her life and Mr Cullen's 'biggest dream' of walking their daughter, Emma-Jayne, down the aisle.
Emma-Jayne and Mrs Cullen, who both attended the hearing today, said previously: 'We were the three musketeers. A close-knit family. He was a dad, husband, best friend and soulmate.
'He lived for his girls and juggled life at home being medically retired from the prison service. He was an ardent Chelsea supporter who loved life. He had a wicked sense of humour and only ever wanted to put a smile on people's faces.
'He was devoted to his mum, plus an honourable and loyal friend, always giving help and support where he could.
'The legacy he leaves is his strength. The strength to move forward whatever that may look like – not to mourn but to celebrate his life and what he had accomplished.
'Gone but never forgotten.'
The inquest continues on Monday.