Gear up for the Hunstanton Soap Box Derby 2018 as date is announced
- Credit: Ian Burt
The revival of a seaside town's legendary kart race is set to return for a second year.
Following last year's successful event, West Norfolk council is bringing back the Hunstanton Soap Box Derby on Sunday, September 23.
The whacky race will follow the same route as last year's event, which will begin at the top of Boston Square, then take a 90-degree left turn onto Cliff Parade and head straight down the hill to the finish line at the mini-roundabout.
Roger Partridge, activities coordinator for the Hunstanton Heritage Gardens, said: 'We're announcing details of the course so early because we know teams want to start building their karts with a specific route in mind.
'We're delighted that people are expressing an interest already, the number of teams competing last year was beyond our expectations, so we're hoping for just as many this year.'
The popular family entertainment returned to the seaside town after a 30-year hiatus.
You may also want to watch:
The soapbox derbies used to draw huge crowds to Hunstanton during the 1960s, 70s and 80s.
Entry fees for the event are £10 for 10-11 year-olds, £12 for 12-15 year-olds, £15 for 16-64 year-olds and £12 for those aged 65 and over.
- 1 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 2 What was ‘strange stretched circle’ spotted over Norfolk skies?
- 3 Plea for help to trace missing heavily pregnant woman
- 4 More than 50 pupils sent home after student tests positive
- 5 Four men caught at £2m Norfolk cannabis factory
- 6 Whale washes up off Norfolk coast
- 7 MPs call for Norfolk to be in own coronavirus tier
- 8 Encouraging signs as Covid infection rates plummet in parts of Norfolk
- 9 Welcome to our new website
- 10 Missing pregnant woman found
This year, the council is also offering the opportunity for a business to become the headline sponsor of the Hunstanton Soap Box Derby.
Mr Partridge added: 'This is a great chance for a local business to work with us, and become the main sponsor of an extremely well-attended event.'
Race entry is due to open in early June through an online form at www.west-norfolk.gov.uk.
For more details about sponsorship, contact Roger Partridge by email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01553 616326.