Hundreds take part in inaugural Hethersett 30/60 cycle event
An inaugural cycle event has been heralded as a 'tremendous success' with 300 riders taking part in the Hethersett 30/60.
Riders of all ages and abilities set off from Hethersett Social Club on Sunday with some completing one circuit (30 miles) and others continuing for two (60 miles). The event wound its way around South Norfolk to take in Attleborough, Old and New Buckenham, Tacolneston and Mulbarton before ending at the social club.
Many of the riders were raising money for their own charities including Leeway, Meningitis Research, the Big C Appeal, Help for Heroes and the Hethersett-based Respect Yourself group.
Riders came from throughout Norfolk and from other parts of the country including London and York and one participant, Raiza Chaves, was on a visit from Brazil.
Organiser Martin Anderton said: 'It went so well and there have been so many positive comments that people are already asking whether we will be repeating it next year. I think it would be rude not to. Everyone seemed to have such a good time and it exceeded my expectations.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Anderton, who was raising funds for the Scope charity and will soon be undertaking a 280 mile 24 hour charity ride from London to Paris on a folding bike, added that he hoped the event will be the catalyst for starting a social cycling group in the area.
'I am hoping that the event will lead to more awareness of the health benefits of cycling and encourage more people to get on their bikes,' he said.
- 1 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 2 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 3 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 4 Man, 20, who drowned at Bawsey Pits is named
- 5 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 6 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
- 7 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 8 Norfolk social worker loses race discrimination case
- 9 Tax in post: Only Fools and Horses van racks up fines
- 10 'We'll be forced back on the roads' - travellers' plea at site hearing