Hundreds of holidaymakers miss flights at Stansted Airport after security X-ray machine fault
- Credit: PA
Hundreds of people trying to travel through Stansted Airport this morning were delayed by a fault with security scanners.
The airport has apologised for the issue which caused long queues and meant some passengers missed their flights.
The problem with the X-ray machines emerged at around 4.30am and was fixed by 8.15am, a spokeswoman for the Essex airport said.
Passengers posted photographs of large crowds inside the terminal building on social media.
One traveller, posting on Twitter with the username Kate-Elizabeth, wrote: 'All the scanners went down at Stansted Airport.
'There was a huge pile up, staff didn't prioritise the times of anyone's flights and Ryanair didn't hold the flight for all those delayed.
'It was still on the tarmac when we all eventually got to the gate only to be told we couldn't board.
- 1 Driver caught hitting speeds of 119mph on A47
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 4 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 5 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 6 Investigation closed after cash stolen from popular attraction
- 7 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 8 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 9 More cameras could be on way to fine law-breaking Norfolk motorists
- 10 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
'Missed flight so now in another huge queue with loads of others trying to get another one. All staff completely unhelpful.'
She added she was 'quite honestly doing my best not to cry this morning'.
Another passenger, Meagan Tetro, tweeted: 'Hundreds stranded at Stansted Airport due to their system failing. All missed flights and now stuck queuing.'
She went on to say she was in a queue with about 150 other people needing new flights, and described the situation as an 'embarrassing show of service' from the airport and Ryanair.
A Stansted spokeswoman said: 'Due to a technical issue earlier this morning with a number of X-ray machines in the main security area, throughput capacity was reduced, taking extra time to process passengers.
'Engineers rectified the issue and additional measures were put in place to minimise the impact to passengers and assist them with their onward journey.
'We apologise for the inconvenience caused. The area has now returned to normal.'
Stansted is the fourth busiest airport in the UK and is used by an average of 67,000 passengers each day.