Hundreds compete in North Norfolk Triathlon at Wells
- Credit: Martyn Gould
Some 302 individuals and 16 relay teams have entered Sunday's event, which comprised a 1.5km swim, followed by a 40km bike ride and 10km run.
The event was organised by the Wells Harbour Commissioners on behalf of the Wells Harbour Maritime Trust raising funds for the charity which benefits young local people in sailing and maritime activities and courses.
Wells harbour administrator Luise de Lisle said: 'The event is considered one of north Norfolk's leading sporting events and one of the most enjoyable amateur triathlons in the country for competitors due to its unique venue and friendly atmosphere with lots of encouragement from the watching spectators and marshals who are all unpaid and volunteer from the local area making it a real community event.'
Professional Joe Skipper participated as a pro guest as part of his training in the run up to the 2016 Kona Ironman World Championships. Joe being the 2015 ITU Long Course World Championship Bronze Medalist and the fastest British Ironman was not surprisingly the fastest over the course in a time of 01:52:26, however the event prizes were awarded to the non professionals who entered.
The Olympic distance event started with the 1.5km swim in the quay which was split into three waves followed by a 40km cycle route around the villages of North Norfolk returning to the quayside for a 10km run down the sea wall into the Holkham woods and returning along the beach back to the finish at the quay.
The winner of the male competition was Simon Hoppe in a time of 02:06:01, Wells man Niall McCallum finished second in a time of 02:06:15. The ladies competition was won by Amy Ogden in a time of 02:17:15. Local family Team O'Neil came first in the relay for the fourth time with a time of 02:00:04.
- 1 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 2 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 3 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 4 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 5 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 6 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 7 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 8 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 9 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 10 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips