Humble Boy is the Maddermarket Theatre’s latest show
- Credit: submitted
To bee or not to bee - a show inspired by one of Shakespeare's most famous tragedies is taking to the stage at the Maddermarket Theatre in Norwich.
Humble Boy, by Charlotte Jones, is said to combine the domestic comedy of playwright Alan Ayckbourn with the tragedy of Shakespeare's Hamlet and the wit and repartee of Tom Stoppard.
In a plot echoing that of Hamlet, the death of astrophysicist Felix Humble's father brings him home to attend his father's funeral and to his horror he discovers his mother, Flora, has purged the household of his father's belongings, and is planning to marry George Pye, whose daughter, Rosie, is Felix's former lover. Worst of all, his father's beloved bees have been removed.
The show - which is directed by Tony Fullwood - is one of a number of events with links to Shakespeare to take place at Maddermarket this year, the 450th anniversary of Shakespeare's birth.
In recent weeks the theatre also held a mini Shakespeare festival which included productions of As You Like It and Hamlet: The Undiscovered Country. The Norwich Players and Friends also presented Shakespeare's Greatest Bits, an evening of songs, sonnets and speeches, and there was a Strolling with Shakespeare event around the city.
You may also want to watch:
• Humble Boy runs from Thursday, April 24 to Saturday, May 3. Tickets £8-£12.
For more information and to book call the box office on 01603 620917 or visit www.maddermarket.co.uk
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 3 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 4 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 5 Appeal for rescuers to come forward following Sea Palling incident
- 6 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 7 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 8 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 9 Gypsy and travellers await planning appeal result
- 10 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146