HSBC to close its Downham Market branch
- Credit: Archant
The bank has confirmed it is to permanently close its branch on the High Street this summer.
A spokesman stated the increase in online and telephone banking as among the reasons for the closure from 19 August.
He said: 'We will be working with customers who use the affected branches to help them understand their options, which include being able to use local post offices for their day-to-day banking, and using local ATMs.'
The town's Natwest Bank branch closed down last year and this latest announcement has raised concerns about the impact this could have on the town centre.
Simon Prior, the chairman of Downham Market's 'Town Team' said: 'This is very disappointing news. It is the second bank within a year that has closed in the town.
You may also want to watch:
'Banks are an important feature of our high streets and also bring people to shop our town - the closure of HSBC in Downham Market is not a good thing.'
Elsewhere in Norfolk, HSBC closed branches in Wroxham and Attleborough earlier this year.
- 1 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 2 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 3 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 4 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 7 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 8 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
- 9 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat
- 10 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction