When is the deadline to register to vote in the 2017 general election? Here is everything you need to know
- Credit: PA
There's less than a week left for people to register to vote in the general election on June 8. Here are all your vote-registering questions answered in preparation for election day.
Who needs to register?
If you have never voted, have moved constituency, or have turned 18 recently then you will need to register if you have not done so already.
When can I register?
Assuming you are eligible, you can register any time but, be aware, there is a deadline. For this election the deadline to register to vote is midnight on Monday, May 22.
You may also want to watch:
You can even get yourself on the register if you are 16 or 17 but you will have to have turned 18 before June 8 to actually be eligible to vote.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 5 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 6 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 7 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 8 Norfolk roadworks to be aware of this week
- 9 Caravan catches fire in Norwich
- 10 Top five Norfolk campsites according to Tripadvisor
How do I check if I am already registered?
If you are not sure whether or not you are registered, you should check with your local electoral registration office. You can find the local authority to get in contact with here: www.yourvotematters.co.uk/register-to-vote/find-your-local-authorityHow can I register if I need to?
By visiting www.gov.uk/register-to-vote and filling out the relevant forms. Alternatively, you can register by post, download the forms here: www.gov.uk/government/publications/voter-registration-forms-paper-versions
What if I live abroad?
You can register as an overseas voter for up to 15 years after you left the country, if you are a British citizen and you have been registered to vote in the UK within the last 15 years (or if you were too young to register when you left).
If you are serving in the Armed Forces abroad there is a special form you can fill out here: www.gov.uk/register-to-vote-armed-forces.
Likewise if you are a Crown servant and British Council employee working abroad: www.gov.uk/register-to-vote-crown-servants-british-council-employees.