Household Cavalry enjoy a dash and a splash on Holkham Beach during annual summer camp in Norfolk
- Credit: Sergeant Rupert Frere RLC
After months of ceremonial duties including The State Opening of Parliament, the Freedom of the City of London Parade, The Queen's Birthday Parade and Her Majesty's 90th Birthday celebrations, the Household Cavalry is having a few weeks away.
The annual summer camp provides an opportunity to learn important lessons in equestrian skills and the chance to build the bonds between horse and rider.
Usually housed at Knightsbridge Barracks, The Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment (HCMR) has temporarily moved 150 horses and 150 men to Bodney Camp in Thetford, Norfolk, which will be their temporary home until the end of the month.
The camp is located around Thetford and the coast, which provides the open space which enables a wide range of training and instruction to take place which is impossible to do in a city environment.
Men and horses will take part in activities designed to develop the skills of horse and rider and to cement the close working relationships essential to the unit's work.
You may also want to watch:
They include advanced riding techniques, tent pegging, sword, lance and revolver drill, cross country riding and show jumping all of which advances the riders and horses' abilities.
The highlight for many of the men is the opportunity to take the horses for a canter - and in some cases a swim - on Holkham Beach.
- 1 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 2 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 3 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 4 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 5 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 6 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
- 7 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 8 A47 driver stopped in smashed up Vauxhall and failed drug test
- 9 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 10 Delays likely as 75ft boat taken along A47 and A11