Hoteliers lose bookings after Great Yarmouth Air Show is cancelled

The owners of Burlington Palm Hotel. Jason Delf, centre left, with his wife Julie, left, and Nick De

The owners of Burlington Palm Hotel. Jason Delf, centre left, with his wife Julie, left, and Nick Delf with his wife Gina. Picture: ANTONY KELLY - Credit: Archant

Hoteliers have expressed their disappointment over the cancellation of this summer's Great Yarmouth Air Show.

On Tuesday it was revealed the four day planned aerial spectacle in June had been postponed due to £130,000 costs associated with counter terrorism and medical cover.

Hotels and guesthouses in the area had hoped to benefit from the estimated £10m boost to the economy as up to 300,000 people were expected to descend on the town's Golden Mile.

As soon as the news broke people started ringing up hotels and guesthouses to cancel bookings or to see if it was still worth visiting the town in June.

Jason Delf, who runs the Burlington Palm Hotel and the Marine Lodge Hotel with his brother Nick, said 20 bookings had been cancelled at both sites.


You may also want to watch:


He said: 'It was very disappointing to hear about it.

'I never believe anything will happen until I see it with my eyes. I did see something similar fail up the road in Lowestoft and it is hard to see how it could work here now.'

Most Read

Victoria Newstead, owner of Andover House Hotel and Restaurant, said a couple of people had rang to cancel and she had been working with the borough council to make sure the area was clean ahead of the show.

She said: 'It is a shame we have lost the show. It would have seen thousands of people come to the town. The people who cancelled their bookings seemed quite positive that it will happen in the future.'

Paul Garrod, of the Furzedown Hotel, said two people had rang about changing but they then seemed content to content to still come in June. But he added that it was a 'disappointment' and had 'affected the whole town'.

The postponement came from the Greater Yarmouth Tourism and Business Improvement Area and it is not known when the event will be held.

Yarmouth MP Brandon Lewis, supporting the decision, said: 'It is a postponement not a cancellation so we can still hope to see such a fabulous event with all the economic local benefits it can bring with visitors

'That size crowd also means it is right the organisers take the time and budget to ensure it is a safe event. I fully support the organisers wanting to ensure it is done correctly and properly to ensure attendees have a fantastic and enjoyable experience.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus