Horses and foals rescued hours before being ‘disposed of for meat’
- Credit: Hillside Animal Sanctuary
A string of horses, including foals and pregnant mares, have been saved from being 'disposed of for meat'.
On Friday, September 14, Hillside animal sanctuary received a desperate plea to help 23 thoroughbred horses which were facing immediate eviction.
The horses, including a three-month-old foal, were facing a bleak future after their owner was evicted from their home.
In another previous case, when a Newmarket stud declared bankruptcy the horses based there were removed and disposed of for meat and Hillside feared a similar outcome this time round.
With bailiff foreclosure looming, Hillside acted swiftly to arrange the rescue all 23 horses.
A spokesperson said: 'As our driver left with the last of the horses, the bailiff explained that we had rescued them just in time as they had them booked in to be destroyed at 11am the next day.'
The string is currently being looked after at the Hillside sanctuary in Frettenham.
- 1 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 2 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 3 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 4 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Revealed: Travelodge behind multi-million pound hotel development
- 7 Man who survived motorcycle crash died from Covid, inquest told
- 8 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 9 Seven of the oldest Norfolk businesses
- 10 These are the dog breeds given up most at a Norfolk rehoming centre