Horses and foals rescued hours before being ‘disposed of for meat’
- Credit: Hillside Animal Sanctuary
A string of horses, including foals and pregnant mares, have been saved from being 'disposed of for meat'.
On Friday, September 14, Hillside animal sanctuary received a desperate plea to help 23 thoroughbred horses which were facing immediate eviction.
The horses, including a three-month-old foal, were facing a bleak future after their owner was evicted from their home.
In another previous case, when a Newmarket stud declared bankruptcy the horses based there were removed and disposed of for meat and Hillside feared a similar outcome this time round.
With bailiff foreclosure looming, Hillside acted swiftly to arrange the rescue all 23 horses.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson said: 'As our driver left with the last of the horses, the bailiff explained that we had rescued them just in time as they had them booked in to be destroyed at 11am the next day.'
The string is currently being looked after at the Hillside sanctuary in Frettenham.
- 1 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 2 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 3 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 4 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 7 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
- 8 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
- 9 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 10 Dinomania tour heading to Norfolk with giant dinosaurs that move