Horse comes home to help north Norfolk table tennis challenge
Luck looks to be on the side of a group of seasoned players lining up for a marathon table tennis challenge.
A group of veteran club members are taking part in in the six hour epic on Wednesday to raise funds to help renovate Weybourne Village Hall.
Their efforts got off to a winning start after being given a free £25 bet on the Scottish Grand National by the Sheringham branch of Betfred bookies.
A punt was placed on two runners including the winning horse Vincente. The 14-1 shot came home first in the race at Ayr on Saturday, raising £121.85 for the appeal.
Derek Collings, who is organising the sporting endeavour, placed the bet on Vicente, who powered through the finishing line in style.
You may also want to watch:
Retired deputy head teacher Mr Collings said: 'One of the player's sister-in-law is a horse trainer, she was able to give us a tip and said Vincente was good on soft ground. The betting shop manager was really pleased to hand over our winnings.'
It is the latest success in the fundrasing stakes for the group of pensioners who previously persuaded High Kelling based Lloyd Durham Funeral Services to support their efforts.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 3 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 4 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 5 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 6 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 7 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 8 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 10 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
Department store Bakers and Larners of Holt and High Kelling Store have also pledged donations.
The village hall committee is aiming to raise £10,000 towards the restoration appeal providing a new roof, floor and refurbished toilets and boiler room.
To support the appeal visit https://mydonate.bt.com/charities/weybournevillagehall