Horse and two people stranded on island
IAN CLARKE A horse and two people spent last night stranded on an island off Wells after being cut off by the tide.
A horse and two people spent last night stranded on an island off Wells after being cut off by the tide.
Lifeboat crewmen were due to have helped the horse, and its 14-year-old owner's mother and her friend from the land known as East Hills back across to Wells at first light and low tide this morning.
Budd - a 13.2 hands high gelding - was being ridden on the beach for the first time yesterday afternoon when it unseated its young rider and bolted more than a mile along Holkham and Wells beaches, where holidaymakers were enjoying the afternoon sun.
It crossed the channel and became cut off on East Hills by the incoming tide.
Attempts, first by a person in a kayak and then the crew of the newly commissioned inshore lifeboat Jane Ann III, to rescue it were unsuccessful.
- 1 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 2 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 3 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 4 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 5 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 6 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 7 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 9 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 10 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
The decision was then made to take the young owner's mother and her friend to stay with the horse on East Hills overnight until low water as the animal was becoming increasingly stressed when attempts were made to try to swim him back to safety.
No one on the beach was injured.
The horse's owner, from Henley-on-Thames in Oxfordshire, said: "Budd had been okay until he was spooked by some other horses which came up behind him on Holkham Beach."