Homeless footballers take part in tournament at Carrow Road
- Credit: Archant
Norwich's homeless were given the chance to play on the region's hallowed ground in a special football tournament at Carrow Road.
In partnership with the Community Sports Foundation (CSF), Anglian Home Improvements invited Norwich City's Street Life Soccer team to play against sides from Arsenal and Southampton, who run similar programmes.
Street Life Soccer is a learning programme used to engage homeless, vulnerable and vulnerably-housed people through sport.
James Earley, who plays for City's team, was delighted to have had the chance to play on such distinguished turf.
Mr Earley said: 'I'm now in my ninth year with the team and I've played in loads of tournaments, but to play at Carrow Road is a real privilege for us all.
'We had a squad of 16 who all wanted to play, which shows you how important this opportunity was to them all.'
In what was a very competitive tournament, Southampton Saints 4 Sports came out on top to take home the winner's trophy.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Passengers angry after train heading to Norwich delayed for hours
- 4 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 5 Covid restrictions played part in father's death, inquest told
- 6 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 7 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 8 Woman arrested after man hit with a broom in city centre
- 9 Norwich independent school named one of best in East Anglia
- 10 PRESSER: Spurs v City - Rashica major injury blow; Normann also out
Earlier this year, Anglian Home Improvements announced its support for Shelter as its charity of the year, with the aim of raising £10,000 to help those on the streets or struggling with inadequate housing.
Anglian are set to host a number of events and activities in support of Shelter throughout the remainder of the year.