Holt Town Council approve chairman title changes to mayor
Controversial plans to return a north Norfolk town council's chairman title back to mayor have been approved, despite the idea being branded an 'absolute joke'.
Holt Town Council, which met yesterday evening (Monday), decided the council's chairman would in future be known as the mayor.
Colin Hipperson said: 'It would be in keeping with the other Norfolk towns.'
But Duncan Baker said the move would make the council 'a laughing stock' and added that they had more important things to consider.
Following the result Bryan Payne, now officially known as the town council's mayor, said: 'As far as I'm concerned it's the same job. It doesn't mean anything different apart from I'm now called mayor, not chairman.'
- 1 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 2 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 3 Norwich firm part of growing number of businesses working four day weeks
- 4 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 5 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 6 Teenager died of injuries six days after crash
- 7 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 8 John Lewis CCTV footage leads to Norwich gun arrests
- 9 A year on: Tributes to teacher who died following tumour diagnosis
- 10 1920s bungalow up for sale in one of the Broads' most sought-after villages