Holidaymakers urged to stay safe on anniversary of Clippesby Hall camper’s death
A MAN who lost his partner in a camping accident on the Norfolk Broads is researching the toxic gas that killed her.
Ronald Wessling's partner Hazel Woodhams, 30, died from carbon monoxide poisoning in July last year, while the pair were holidaying in Clippesby Hall near Great Yarmouth.
The couple from West Yorkshire had both been poisoned by the noxious gas after they brought a charcoal barbecue inside their tent overnight.
Ronald - a forensic scientist at Cranfield University - suffered severe injuries in the accident, which he is still recovering from.
A year on from the accident he is now undertaking a research project looking at toxicity of fuels in relation to carbon monoxide (CO). He is also planning to look into areas such as tent design to see what impact that has.
You may also want to watch:
His project comes as the UK's official gas safety body has issued 'urgent advice' to holidaymakers.
The Gas Safe Register has published a series of tips to campers after research revealed a 'worrying lack of awareness' among the public about the dangers of CO from barbecues and camping lamps.
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 3 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 4 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
- 5 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 6 Nick Knowles joins outcry as Norfolk police told to close Twitter accounts
- 7 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 8 Hundreds flock to see exotic birds in Yarmouth bushes
- 9 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 10 Hot property - Homes selling just days after being on market
One in five Brits do not recognise the dangers of bringing a gas barbecue inside a tent and more than a third do not know doing the same with a charcoal barbecue is just as risky.
The Register is now urging holidaymakers, including campers and people planning on staying in B&Bs and hotels, to follow its tips this summer, which include advice on the six main signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.
For more information and to see the full list of tips visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk/BBQ