Historic property in Emneth damaged by fire
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press Â© 2011
Laundry stored close to a central heating boiler that caught fire has been established as the cause of a fire that severely damaged a family home in the Fens.
Crews from Norfolk and Cambridgeshire attended a the blaze in an historic property set back from one of the main roads through Emneth, near Wisbech.
Bob Ayres, station manager for King's Lynn, said: 'The combustible materials were being stored close to the central heating boiler.
'When the owner of the property turned on the heating earlier in the day, it caused the fire.'
Firefighters from Wisbech and West Walton as well as officers from King's Lynn North and South were called to reports of a fire in Church Road at around 4.30pm yesterday.
You may also want to watch:
Ian Cuthill, a crew commander from Wisbech fire station, said: 'We had lots of calls from members of the public informing us about the fire which started in the conservatory at the back of the property.
'Unfortunately, much of the property has now been damaged by smoke because doors were open throughout the building.'
- 1 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 4 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 5 Joy and relief as Latitude passes off successfully
- 6 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 7 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 8 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 9 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 10 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
He added: 'Luckily, nobody was inside at the time.'
Officers quickly contained the blaze were still at the scene yesterday evening to check the flames were completely out.