Hi-de-Hi! star Paul Shane in Norfolk film
Hi-de-Hi! star Paul Shane and actor Murray Melvin have been in Norfolk shooting a short film penned by two script writers from the county.
Simon Janes from Silver Road, north Norwich, and Jonathan Parramint, from Woodton, near Bungay, spent about a year perfecting the script of their short comedy The Grey Mile, and they were delighted when the two actors agreed to play the lead characters in the film after being impressed by their script.
Mr Parramint, 24, said: 'I am a big British sitcom fan so to actually have Paul reading lines I have co-written was pretty incredible. We had to pinch ourselves every so often while filming.
'The reason Paul and Murray got involved in the film was because they liked the writing and to have that is a massive, massive confidence boost.'
Mr Janes, 27, added: 'Working with Murray and Paul was so much fun because they are both industry veterans. It was completely surreal and it was brilliant hearing Murray's stories about working with Stanley Kubrick.'
You may also want to watch:
The Grey Mile was shot at Wolterton Hall, in north Norfolk, last week with Mr Parramint taking on the role of producer and Mr Janes being the director,
Mr Parramint said: 'The Grey Mile tells the story of two former master criminals now confined to a care home, who are forced to go on one last job together to take on the evil care home owner Miss Match and her two henchmen, The Twins, when they discover that money has gone missing.'
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 4 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 5 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 6 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 7 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 8 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 9 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 10 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
Paul – who played Ted Bovis in the holiday-camp sitcom Hi-de-Hi! and is also well know for starring in the TV series You Rang, M'Lord? – took on the role of Terry 'The Taxman' Tempest, a retired safe-cracker and thief from the north.
Murray – who appeared in the Stanley Kubrick film Barry Lyndon and starred in the movie A Taste of Honey – played Terry Tempest's partner-in-crime The Professor, an articulate well-travelled trickster.
Miss Match was played by actress Maggie Tulip. Local extras were used in the film and the Laurel Lodge Care Home in Norwich and Aegel House, in Aylsham, were also involved in the filming. Once the film is edited Mr Parramint and Mr Janes hope to take the film to festivals across the UK and abroad.
For their next venture they are looking at possibly writing a feature film or a TV drama.
The Grey Mile has been funded by Hoveton-based Vantage Venture Capital,
Do you know somebody set for stardom? Call reporter Emma Knights on 01603 772428 or email firstname.lastname@example.org