Hethersett couple welcome baby daughter on Christmas Day in a busy morning for Norwich hospital
- Credit: Archant
She was a surprise Christmas present, arriving two weeks earlier than planned.
Parents Charlotte Ashe and Simon Leedham, from Hethersett, spent Christmas morning at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, welcoming the newest addition to their family.
Their daughter - the couple's first together but the fifth youngster to join the family - was the first baby born at the hospital on Christmas Day, arriving just after 1.50am.
And she marked the start of a very busy morning - the Norwich hospital said that, by 12pm, its midwives had already welcomed eight newborns.
MORE: Christmas joy as couple welcome birth of first child at James Paget HospitalMs Ashe said their daughter - who is yet to be given a name - had not been due for another two weeks, and had caught the family by surprise.
She had been taken into hospital last week, but the couple had expected to be back at home with their family for Christmas Day.
'We kept saying we didn't think she'd arrive on Christmas,' she said, 'and as the day went on we thought she'd arrive on Christmas Eve, but it got to about 11.50pm and things started to happen.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 3 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 4 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 5 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 6 George Ezra to host album launch show in Norwich
- 7 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 8 Interactive and immersive dinosaur attraction opening in Norfolk this month
- 9 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 10 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
'We're really tired but really, really excited.'
Depending on Ms Ashe's recovery, the pair hope to be out of the hospital and back at home at some point on Boxing Day.