Hethersett couple welcome baby daughter on Christmas Day in a busy morning for Norwich hospital
- Credit: Archant
She was a surprise Christmas present, arriving two weeks earlier than planned.
Parents Charlotte Ashe and Simon Leedham, from Hethersett, spent Christmas morning at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, welcoming the newest addition to their family.
Their daughter - the couple's first together but the fifth youngster to join the family - was the first baby born at the hospital on Christmas Day, arriving just after 1.50am.
And she marked the start of a very busy morning - the Norwich hospital said that, by 12pm, its midwives had already welcomed eight newborns.
MORE: Christmas joy as couple welcome birth of first child at James Paget HospitalMs Ashe said their daughter - who is yet to be given a name - had not been due for another two weeks, and had caught the family by surprise.
You may also want to watch:
She had been taken into hospital last week, but the couple had expected to be back at home with their family for Christmas Day.
'We kept saying we didn't think she'd arrive on Christmas,' she said, 'and as the day went on we thought she'd arrive on Christmas Eve, but it got to about 11.50pm and things started to happen.
- 1 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 2 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 3 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 4 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 5 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 6 BBC Springwatch films at Norfolk nature haven - with beavers
- 7 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 8 'Vulnerable' Norfolk man missing from home
- 9 A47 tailbacks as roadworks move west near Norwich
- 10 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
'We're really tired but really, really excited.'
Depending on Ms Ashe's recovery, the pair hope to be out of the hospital and back at home at some point on Boxing Day.