Hero rottweiler saves owner’s life after opening door for paramedics at Lowestoft home

Megan the rottweiler has been hailed a hero after she let paramedics into the house to save her owne

Megan the rottweiler has been hailed a hero after she let paramedics into the house to save her owner Gary Gregory who was suffering from internal bleeding. PHOTO: Nick Butcher - Credit: Nick Butcher

They say dogs are man's best friend. And three-year-old rottweiler Megan proved her devotion after letting paramedics into the house to save her owner when he collapsed.

Megan the rottweiler has been hailed a hero after she let paramedics into the house to save her owne

Megan the rottweiler has been hailed a hero after she let paramedics into the house to save her owner Gary Gregory who was suffering from internal bleeding. PHOTO: Nick Butcher - Credit: Nick Butcher

Megan, sensing owner Gary Gregory was in danger, jumped up at the front door of her Lowestoft home to release the handle and let in the ambulance crew.

Mr Gregory, 32, who has two other dogs, dialled 999 after feeling unwell the day after an endoscopy procedure. It later emerged he had suffered a tear and was haemorrhaging internally.

'All of a sudden I felt the blood drain to my feet,' he said. 'I couldn't see or hear anything and couldn't stand up. I called 999 but then passed out and must have cracked my head on the table. I woke up and the dogs were licking my face.

'I crawled upstairs and phoned my partner Sean. I told him I loved him and I thought I was dying.'

Megan the rottweiler has been hailed a hero after she let paramedics into the house to save her owne

Megan the rottweiler has been hailed a hero after she let paramedics into the house to save her owner Gary Gregory who was suffering from internal bleeding. PHOTO: Nick Butcher - Credit: Nick Butcher


You may also want to watch:


Mr Gregory collapsed again before the paramedics arrived.

They feared Megan was being aggressive at the front door and could also hear Hugo the pug and Heidi the labrador barking in the background. However, after speaking to a neighbour, who told paramedics how to move the door handle which was double locked, into a position where the external lock is released, Megan was able to show off her party trick and let the team inside.

Most Read

'She is a superstar,' said Mr Gregory. 'She deserves a Pride of Britain Award.

'If Megan hadn't answered the door that soon it could have been a different story.'

Megan the rottweiler has been hailed a hero after she let paramedics into the house to save her owne

Megan the rottweiler has been hailed a hero after she let paramedics into the house to save her owner Gary Gregory who was suffering from internal bleeding. PHOTO: Nick Butcher - Credit: Nick Butcher

Mr Gregory had gone into shock and was taken to hospital for an emergency operation to stop the bleeding.

He said: 'Sean said Megan didn't sleep while I was in hospital. She just paced around for two days and went off her food. And since I've been home she hasn't left my side.'

Mr Gregory was told in October last year he has three stones in his pancreas and underwent the procedure after one moved into his bile duct. He is due for another operation at a specialist hospital in London next week.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter