Hemsby lifeboat crew pay tribute to ‘very respected’ shop volunteers
- Credit: Archant
The crew at Hemsby lifeboat have paid respect to two 'very respected and hard working' shop volunteers, who both died this month.
Allan Sheppard died on June 2, aged 74. And Dave Baker died on June 14, aged 70.
Coxswain Daniel Hurd said: 'Allan had been fighting an illness for some time. Allan had been involved in the shop for many years he was a dedicated and hard working member of staff, he always had time to talk to people and make them smile.
'Dave was a valued shop volunteer he had also given many years to helping Hemsby Lifeboat, he was always game for a laugh and a joke taking it all in his stride.
'The crew and shop staff are deeply saddened with the passing of Allan and Dave. I have known them both for years and it is hard to get my head around the fact that we have lost two amazing people in such a short space of time. Allan and Dave will both surely be missed by returning visitors to Hemsby as well, as the familiar faces around the lifeboat shop and Beach Cafe next door. It is not easy to get people like Allan and Dave who have given up so much of their time over many years to the service.'
You may also want to watch:
Daniel extended his condolences to the families of the men. He added: 'I have spent some time with Dave in the last few years, and I have lots of stories I could tell of times when I have been at his bungalow and he has had me and his wife Barb laughing so much our sides hurt, such memories I will never forget.
'Allan's funeral will be at Gorleston crematorium on the July 14 at midday. Allan's wish was that no one was to wear black. All are welcome at the crematorium and if you would like to join the family afterwards at the LA Lounge Lacons Arms Hemsby you will be most welcome.'
- 1 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 2 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Do you recognise this man?
- 5 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 8 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 9 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 10 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments