Heimlich manoeuvre waiter saves man choking on carvery at Ferry Inn, Horning
- Credit: Archant
A quick-thinking waiter leapt into action to save the life of a North Norfolk councillor who was choking on his food at a Broads pub.
Paul Rice was on the verge of blacking out after choking on food from the carvery at the Ferry Inn, Horning.
And he said if it were not for the actions of waiter Laszlo Szabo he could have died.
Mr Rice, who represents Waterside on North Norfolk District Council, said: 'I had gone to the Ferry Inn for supper but was in a bit of a rush because I had training to go to and probably wasn't chewing my food as well as I should have.
'The next thing food got lodged in my throat and I started choking. I couldn't breathe and started to feel like I was going to black out.'
You may also want to watch:
He said he managed to attract the attention of a waiter who immediately performed the Heimlich manoeuvre on him.
'Fortunately he managed to dislodge the food slightly, which allowed me to breathe erratically.
- 1 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 2 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 3 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 4 City step up Skipp Spurs chase
- 5 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 6 Waiting game for parkrun lovers as one Norfolk event closes
- 7 Man living in hotel after sewage floods bathroom in 'uninhabitable' flat
- 8 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 9 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 10 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
'I managed to calm myself down and tried to focus on my breathing. Someone called an ambulance, but when it did arrive it arrived on the wrong side of the river.'
Mr Rice said two first responders arrived on the scene and helped him with his breathing. 'One suggested I drink a little coke as it causes a gagging effect and this helped by dislodging the food. I eventually got to casualty at 10.30pm and my throat was quite swollen, but thanks to Laszlo I was lucky to be alive.'
Mr Szabo said: 'Paul is always calling me his hero but I am not a hero. I was just in the right place at the right time and am happy I could help.'
Lyubo Dragoev, the managing director of the Ferry Inn, said all the staff were given basic first aid and CPR training. He said it was a common problem that vehicles travelling from Norwich following GPS instructions ended up on the wrong side of the river.
A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance service said: 'Two community first responders were on scene within seven minutes and an ambulance was dispatched at 8.13pm. The ambulance attended at 9.01pm and took the patient to Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital for further care. Part of the delayed attendance was due to the ambulance ending up in the wrong location initially and having to reroute to the correct location.'