Heartsease leukaemia survivor Jade Bowler raises funds for the Sick Children’s Trust
A Norwich family has thanked a charity which supported their 17-year-old daughter by raising almost �800 at a tea party.
Kevin and Beverley Bowler, from Holmes Close, Heartsease, saw their world turned upside down in 2010 when their daughter Jade was diagnosed with leukaemia.
The family have helped to raise �795.55 for the Sick Children's Trust, which provides free and homely accommodation to families who have to travel a long way to be with their ill children.
Jade, an Open Academy sixth-form pupil, spent nine months in hospital, undergoing chemotherapy, radiotherapy and a bone-marrow transplant.
Six months of that time was spent at Addenbrooke's Hospital, in Cambridge, when the Sick Children's Trust provided somewhere comfortable to stay for Jade's family during her time there, the Acorn House 'home from home'.
The family took part in the charity's third annual 'Big Chocolate Tea Party', held at The Great Hospital, in Bishopgate, Norwich – where Beverly works.
The event saw people, including Norwich North MP Chloe Smith, share a cup of tea and their favourite chocolate treat.
- 1 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 2 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 3 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 4 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 5 Queen flown by helicopter to Sandringham Estate
- 6 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 7 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
- 8 7 of the best places to get street food on the Norfolk coast
- 9 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 10 Seven of the best locations for a minibreak staycation in Norfolk
Jade said: 'I'm doing much better now and I'm at college studying for my A-levels.
'I really wanted to give something back and by hosting a Big Chocolate Tea Party we knew that the money would go towards helping other people who may now be in the situation we were in.'
To receive a Big Chocolate Tea Party Pack, go to www.sickchildrenstrust.org or email email@example.com
- Are you raising funds for charity? Contact reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or firstname.lastname@example.org