Heartsease leukaemia survivor Jade Bowler raises funds for the Sick Children’s Trust
A Norwich family has thanked a charity which supported their 17-year-old daughter by raising almost �800 at a tea party.
Kevin and Beverley Bowler, from Holmes Close, Heartsease, saw their world turned upside down in 2010 when their daughter Jade was diagnosed with leukaemia.
The family have helped to raise �795.55 for the Sick Children's Trust, which provides free and homely accommodation to families who have to travel a long way to be with their ill children.
Jade, an Open Academy sixth-form pupil, spent nine months in hospital, undergoing chemotherapy, radiotherapy and a bone-marrow transplant.
Six months of that time was spent at Addenbrooke's Hospital, in Cambridge, when the Sick Children's Trust provided somewhere comfortable to stay for Jade's family during her time there, the Acorn House 'home from home'.
You may also want to watch:
The family took part in the charity's third annual 'Big Chocolate Tea Party', held at The Great Hospital, in Bishopgate, Norwich – where Beverly works.
The event saw people, including Norwich North MP Chloe Smith, share a cup of tea and their favourite chocolate treat.
- 1 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 2 Hollywood actors use Norwich hair salon
- 3 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 4 MPs join the call to suspend gallbladder surgeon
- 5 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 6 Norwich shop worker beaten with hammer in row over phone refund
- 7 Popular railway will 'cease to exist' as soon as this year
- 8 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 9 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 10 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
Jade said: 'I'm doing much better now and I'm at college studying for my A-levels.
'I really wanted to give something back and by hosting a Big Chocolate Tea Party we knew that the money would go towards helping other people who may now be in the situation we were in.'
To receive a Big Chocolate Tea Party Pack, go to www.sickchildrenstrust.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Are you raising funds for charity? Contact reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email@example.com