Heartbreaking video of Caister cat’s final hours after being unknowingly poisoned
- Credit: Beccy Elliott
A devastated cat owner has shared a video of her poorly cat's final hours, in hope of raising awareness of cat poisoning in Caister.
Beccy Elliott's two-year-old cat Simba died last month, after ingesting what was believed to be antifreeze on his travels.
Now Miss Elliott, of St Julian Road, is hoping a video captured the night before Simba died will help others recognise when their pet is unwell and show people the importance of being careful when using antifreeze.
Miss Elliott, 23, said: 'My partner and I both bawled our eyes out when Simba died and we still don't know how to tell my two-year-old daughter that he will not be coming home.
'When Simba came home at around 11pm one evening and was not stable on his feet. It was almost like he was drunk.
'The next morning he had just curled up into a ball and when we took him to the vet they said only 10pc of his kidneys were working, so we had to get him put down.'
The vet told Miss Elliott that Simba was the third cat they had treated that month for poisoning, and it is thought as many as 11 have been poisoned in the same area of Caister in a short space of time.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 3 Lloyds to close bank in Norwich suburb
- 4 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 5 'He could've gone all the way' - Mum's tribute to aspiring boxer, 19
- 6 Norfolk worst area in UK for uninsured and untaxed drivers
- 7 Norfolk holiday cottage business sold to a leading lettings agency
- 8 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 9 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 10 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
Miss Elliott added: 'I just want people to be aware that this is happening and until we find out why, keep your cats indoors.'
An RSPCA spokesman said: 'Signs that your animal could have been poisoned vary and can include any of the following: depression, lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, breathing difficulties and bad breath, twitching or seizures. Different substances can affect animals in different ways. Some symptoms can take days to appear.
'People should be careful when putting down substances to ensure that other animals are not affected (slug pellets and antifreeze in particular) and that substances are properly disposed of, rather than dumping them on a roadside or in a park.'