Heart warming news from Norfolk’s Surviving Winter appeal to help vulnerable elderly
- Credit: Archant
An appeal to help our vulnerable elderly to stay warm this winter has raised almost £20,000.
As temperatures plummet, supporters have dug deep to help poor households struggling to pay their fuel bills. The EDP-backed Surviving Winter appeal, run by Norfolk Community Foundation and Age Concern Norfolk, encourages people who won't need their winter fuel payment to donate it to help others.
Last year it raised more than £55,000, which was given out in grants to individuals and community groups like meals on wheels, lunch clubs and community transport projects.
One elderly woman helped by last year's appeal said: 'I'm just a pensioner trying to manage. The grant has alleviated the stress and worry about my winter gas bill this quarter last year it was £547. Without the grant I would have had to go into debt.'
Another added: 'The grant was be a tremendous help towards my heating and lighting bills. I can use my heating without worrying about the cost. Without the grant I would have had a much colder winter.'
Anna Douglas, director of marketing and development with the community foundation, said money was coming into the appeal faster than last year.
'We have our donors who as soon as they receiver their winter fuel payment will send us a cheque,' she said. 'It's become something people are familiar with. We've also had quite a lot of money through the Virginmoney site. That's quite a new thing for us, because our donor base doesn't naturally go online to give money.'
- 1 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 2 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 3 Norwich firm part of growing number of businesses working four day weeks
- 4 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 5 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 6 Teenager died of injuries six days after crash
- 7 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 8 John Lewis CCTV footage leads to Norwich gun arrests
- 9 A year on: Tributes to teacher who died following tumour diagnosis
- 10 1920s bungalow up for sale in one of the Broads' most sought-after villages
Grants have helped to buy gas bottles, coal and wood, heating oil, portable heaters, cookers and microwaves, as well as low-cost heating repairs or replacement radiators and night storage heaters.
Even if you don't receive a winter fuel payment, you can still make a donation. To give online, click here.
To apply for help, call Age UK Norfolk on 0300 500 1217.