Relief as longed-for gym set to re-open
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
Long-distance runners speak of a 'second wind', when having lost breath and energy during a race, they suddenly find the strength to keep going.
The metaphor could be also be applied to an Attleborough gym which closed down without warning in August but will re-open next month under new management.
Breathing this 'second wind' into Vinnie's Gym and Exercise Centre, which had ceased trading after fifteen years in business, is Nathan Gostling, 28, director of NR Health and Fitness in neighbouring Wymondham.
Mr Gostling said he had been working on taking over Vinnie's Gym since it went into liquidation. He has not bought the gym but will be using the unit, which will get a full refurbishment, including a new kit. The closure had prompted concern among members that because the town no longer had a gym they would have to drive the six miles to Wymondham.
Mr Gostling, who lives in Dereham, used to be operations manager at Riverside Leisure Club in Norwich. When he took over NR Health and Fitness, in February 2017, it had 150 members. Eighteen months later the membership has climbed to 750. Mr Gostling put the five-fold increase down to marketing. 'A lot of gyms that close down is because their marketing is poor,' he said. 'They don't have a good vibe around the facility, because there are not many people in it.'
You may also want to watch:
He contrasted this description with his gym, with its 'vibrant' staff and 'friendly atmosphere'.
'A lot of people comment on the atmosphere of the gym,' he said. 'That has been a big selling-point.'
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 4 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 5 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 6 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 7 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 8 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 9 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 10 City confirm midfielder exit
Vinnie's had been the only large gym in Attleborough. After it had closed, many residents had travelled instead to Wymondham gyms, including Mr Gostling's.
The response on NR Health and Fitness' Facebook page has been positive, with some Attleborough residents posting thumbs-up and bulging muscle emojis and commenting on how they had struggled to get to the Wymondham gym as much as they had in their hometown.
Julia Fenn said: 'Brilliant news. Saves me travelling.'
The new gym will employ five staff, with some on apprenticeships. It will open, for those suffering from Halloween hangovers, on Thursday November 1.
For more information visit www.nrhealthclub.co.uk