Urgent call for blood donations following poor weather conditions
- Credit: Archant © 2012
The NHS has issued a call for blood donors after poor weather conditions led to a significant decline in blood stocks.
The health service estimates that it could take up to a month to get blood stock levels back to normal and is encouraging people to book and make a donation at one of their newly scheduled appointments in March.
These will include sessions in Norwich, Fakenham, Holt, North Walsham and Swaffham.
Mike Stredder, director of blood donation at NHS Blood and Transplant, said: 'The recent poor weather caused the cancellation of sessions in snow hit areas and meant we collected less blood than we needed, particularly Group A, Group O and B positive donations.
'Seriously ill patients need blood every day and they rely on the generosity of people making time to donate.'
Details of where sessions are taking place and bookings can be made via the NHS Blood and Transplant website.
You may also want to watch:
Dates for sessions across Norfolk:
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
Wednesday, March 14
Thursday, March 15
Wednesday, March 21
Friday, March 30
Friday, March 16
Wednesday, March 28
Thursday, March 29